Bezel-less smartphones are currently a thing in the smartphone world, but many people still don’t have one because they usually come with a high price tag. Chinese OEM Oukitel wants to change this, unveiling a new phone, the Oukitel C8 with minimal bezels and a price tag of less than a hundred dollars.
The phone doesn’t offer just minimal bezels; even though it cuts down on performance and quality in some aspects, its specifications are still reasonable considering the price at which it is being sold.
Oukitel C8 Review
The Oukitel C8 runs on the penultimate latest version of the Android operating system, version 7.0 Nougat.
Design & Display
From the press shots of the smartphone available right now, the Oukitel C8 looks like the Samsung Galaxy Note 8 when viewed from the front. It comes with a 5.5-inch IPS LCD Infinity display which has an High-Definition (HD, 1280 * 640) pixel resolution and is covered with 2.5D curved glass.
Like the Note 8, it has a 18:9 aspect ratio and sports minimal bezels on the top and bottom, with its sides completely lacking bezels. It weighs 156 grammes and is 10.2 millimetres thick. A fingerprint sensor is present on its rear panel for advanced security functions.
Memory & Performance
The C8 is powered by a quad-core MediaTek MT6580A processor clocked at 1.3GHz while its graphics operations are handled by a Mali-400 MP2 GPU.
Multi-tasking on the smartphone is handled by a 2GB RAM while file storage is handled by a 16GB ROM that can be expanded up to 64GB using an external microSD card.
The Oukitel C8 sports a 13MP camera with PDAF and a LED flash at the rear to take care of the main photography functions on the smartphone. It also features a 5MP camera at the front for taking selfies.
Battery & Connectivity
The smartphone packs a non-removable 3000mAh Li-ion battery that can last for a whole day on average use. It has Bluetooth 4.2, Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, GPS and NFC for connectivity purposes.
Sadly, the smartphone doesn’t support 4G networks, and 3G networks on the 900 and 2100 MHz HSDPA bands can be accessed via its hybrid dual micro+nano/microSD card slot.
Oukitel C8 Full Specifications
- 2G: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 MHz.
- 3G: HSDPA 900 / 2100 MHz.
- 4G: No.
- Network Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps.
- SIM Type: Micro + Nano / microSD Slot.
- SIM Count: Hybrid Dual SIM.
- OS: Android 7.0 Nougat.
- User Interface: n/a
Design & Display
- Dimensions: 147 * 70.5 * 10.2 mm.
- Weight: 156g.
- Display size: 5.5 inches.
- Display Resolution: 1280 * 640 (HD).
- Pixel resolution: n/a.
- Display Technology: IPS LCD Infinity touchscreen.
- Form Factor: Touchscreen Bar.
- Build: Metal Unibody Design
- Protection: 2.5D curved glass.
- Colours: Midnight Black, Sunny Gold, Orchid Purple, Sky Blue and Rosy Pink.
- Processor Name/Technology: 64-bit MediaTek MT6580A.
- Processor Speed: 1.3GHz.
- Number of Processor Cores: Quad-core.
- Graphics Processor: Mali-400 MP2.
- RAM: 2GB.
- Internal Storage: 16GB.
- External Storage: expandable up to 64GB with microSD.
- Sensors: Accelerometer, Light, Proximity, Fingerprint sensor.
- Lens: 13MP.
- LED Flash: Yes.
- Video recording: Yes, 720p@30fps.
- Properties: PDAF.
- Lens: 5MP.
- LED Flash: n/a.
- Video recording: Yes.
- Properties: –
- Music Support: AAC, AMR, MP2, MP3, M4A, MKA.
- Loudspeaker: Yes.
- Audio Technology: –
- Video Support: MP4/MPEG4/H.263/H.264 player.
- FM Radio: Yes.
- Bluetooth: Bluetooth 4.2.
- Bluetooth Profiles: LE.
- WiFi: Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot.
- GPS: Yes.
- USB: v2.0.
- USB OTG: Yes.
- NFC: Yes.
- 3.5mm audio jack: Yes.
- Battery Capacity: 3000mAh.
- Battery Technology: Li-ion.
- Removable? No.
- Fast Charging: No.
- Extra Features: –
- Launch Date: October 2017.
- Availability: October 2017.
How much is Oukitel C8?
The Oukitel C8 comes in various colour options and costs $95.