Sony is using the IFA 2017 event platform to update its Xperia series of smartphones and push out some really spectacular smartphones. The company has announced the Sony Xperia XA1 Plus, a bigger iteration of the Sony Xperia XA1 that was outed in early 2017.
The Xperia XA1 Plus is a high-end smartphone with lots of spectacular features, but most of these might not be new to you as they are also present in the Xperia XA1.
Sony Xperia XA1 Plus Review
The Sony Xperia XA1 Plus runs on Android 7.0 Nougat out of the box, refusing to come with the latest version of Android like the two other smartphones that were launched alongside it. This is probably to make its price close to that of its predecessor, because as a successor, it should feature a newer software version.
Design & Display
The Xperia XA1 Plus comes with a larger 5.5-inch Full HD display which uses the Image Enhance technology to…well, enhance images and everything displayed on the screen. It has the design common to the Sony Xperia series, weighs 190 grammes and is just 8.7 millimetres thick.
Memory & Performance
The Sony Xperia XA1 Plus runs on a 4-bit 16nm MediaTek Helio P20 processor with eight processing cores and a clock speed of 2.3GHz, and its graphics operations are handled by a Mali T880 GPU.
The phone comes in two memory variants: the first with 3GB of RAM and 32GB of internal storage, and the second with 4GB of RAM and 64GB of internal memory, both of which can be expanded up to 256GB via a microSD card slot.
The XA1 Plus sports a 23MP camera with a 1/2.3″Exmos RS sensor, f/2.0 aperture and Hybrid AutoFocus at the rear together with a LED flash.
At the front, it features an 8MP camera with a 1/4″ Exmor R sensor, f/2.0 aperture and 23mm wide-angle lens for taking selfies.
The smartphone packs a 3430mAh battery with Qnovo Adaptive fast charging feature which is also present in the Xperia XZ1 series.
Connectivity & Hardware
The Sony Xperia XA1 Plus comes in single and dual SIM variants and supports 4G LTE networks. It features a USB Type-C ports and has Bluetoothh 4.2, GPS and NFC connectivity options.
Sony Xperia XA1 Plus Full Specifications
- 2G: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 MHz.
- 3G: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100 MHz.
- 4G: Yes, LTE.
- Network Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE Cat6 300/50 Mbps.
- SIM Type: Micro-SIM, dual standby.
- SIM Count: Dual / Single SIM
- OS: Android 7.0 (Nougat).
- User Interface: n/a
Design & Display
- Dimensions: 155 x 75 x 8.7 mm.
- Weight: 190g.
- Display size: 5.5 inches.
- Display Resolution: 1920 * 1080 (Full HD).
- Pixel resolution: n/a
- Display Technology: IPS LCD Capacitive touchscreen.
- Form Factor: Touchscreen Bar.
- Build: Metal aluminium design.
- Protection: n/a.
- Features: Image Enhance Technology.
- Colours: Gold, Black and Blue.
- Processor Name/Technology: 64-bit 16nm MediaTek Helio P20 processor.
- Processor Speed: 2.3GHz.
- Number of Processor Cores: Octa-Core.
- Graphics Processor: ARM Mali T880.
- RAM: 3GB / 4GB
- Internal Storage: 32GB / 64GB.
- External Storage: expandable up to 256GB via microSD.
- Sensors: Accelerometer, Light, Proximity, Fingerprint sensor.
- Lens: 23MP.
- LED Flash: LED flash.
- Video recording: Yes, 1080p.
- 1/2.3″ Exmos RS sensor
- f/2.0 aperture
- Hybrid AF
- Lens: 8MP.
- LED Flash: No.
- Video recording: Yes.
- 1/4″ Exmor R sensor,
- f/2.0 aperture
- 23mm wide-angle lens
- Music Support: AAC, AMR, MP2, MP3, M4A, MKA.
- Loudspeaker: Yes.
- Audio Technology: –
- Video Support: MP4/MPEG4/H.263/H.264 player.
- FM Radio: No.
- Bluetooth: Bluetooth 4.2.
- Bluetooth Profiles: LE.
- WiFi: WiFi 802.11 a/b/g/n , Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot.
- GPS: Yes.
- USB: USB Type-C.
- USB OTG: Yes.
- NFC: Yes.
- 3.5mm audio jack: Yes.
- Battery Capacity: 3430mAh.
- Battery Technology: Li-ion.
- Removable? No.
- Fast Charging: Yes, Qnovo Adaptive Fast Charging.
- Extra Features: –
- Launch Date: August 31, 2017.
- Availability: Autumn 2017.
How much is Sony Xperia XA1 Plus in Nigeria, Kenya & Ghana?
The Sony Xperia XA1 Plus would be available starting from Autumn 2017, towards the end of September. Then, its price in various markets would be known.