Sony released some specifications of the Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact which is a lighter of the Xperia XZ1 some days ago in preparation for its announcement at the IFA event in Berlin. Now, the event has started and the company has launched the smartphone together with its standard version.
The Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact comes with a small screen size, as its name suggests, but that doesn’t reduce its quality as it packs certain features that you would see only in flagship smartphones, and it comes with an Android version that was previously available only on Google smartphones, Android 8.0 Oreo.
Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact Review
As said earlier, the Xperia XZ1 Compact runs on the latest version of the Android operating system, Android 8.0 Oreo out of the box, becoming the second non-Google smartphone after the Xperia XZ1 to run that version of Android.
Design & Display
Like its larger counterpart, the XZ1 Compact has a metal unibody design and IP65 and IP68 certifications for dust and water resistance. It weighs just 140 grammes and is 9.3 millimetres thick.
In line with its name, it comes compact with a 4.6-inch TRILUMINOS Display which is protected with Corning Gorilla Glass 5, uses the X-Reality display tech and has an HD (1280 * 720) pixel resolution.
Memory & Performance
The XZ1 Compact is powered by an octa-core Snapdragon 835 Mobile Platform processor that works with an Adreno 540 GPU to ensure that things are run smoothly on the device. This SoC setup has been appearing in new high-end smartphones of recent, meaning that it is very efficient.
The phone comes with 4GB of RAM and 64GB of internal memory which can be expanded up to 256GB with an external microSD card.
Like in the Xperia XZ1, a 19MP camera with an Exmos RS sensor, 1/2.3″ sensor, f/2.0 aperture is present at the rear of the XZ1 Compact to handle main photography functions with features like 5-axis stabilisation, 4K video recording, 960fps super slow-motion video and Predictive capture.
Its front camera has, however, been downgraded from 13MP to an 8MP lens for taking selfies with a 1/4″ Exmor RS senspr. 18mm super wide-angle lens with 120 degrees FOV, f/2.4 aperture and 1080p video recording.
The Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact packs a 2700mAh battery with Qnovo Adaptive Charging feature which makes sure that the maximum amount of power available is sucked into the smartphone to enable it charge faster than normal.
Connectivity & Hardware
The phone comes with a single micro SIM slot and supports 4G VoLTE. It has a USB 3.1 Type-C port and supports Bluetooth 5.0, GPS with GLONASS, NFC and WiFi 802.11 ac (2.4GHz / 5GHz) MIMO.
The XZ1 Compact offers an immersive audio experience with DSEE HX and LDAC audio systems with Digital Noise Cancelling. It also has a fingerprint sensor for advanced security.
Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact Full Specifications
- 2G: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 MHz.
- 3G: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100 MHz.
- 4G: LTE with VoLTE.
- Network Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE Cat6 300/50 Mbps.
- SIM Type: Micro-SIM.
- SIM Count: Single SIM
- OS: Android 8.0 Oreo.
- User Interface: n/a
Design & Display
- Dimensions: 165 * 129 * 9.3 mm.
- Weight: 140g.
- Display size: 4.6 inches.
- Display Resolution: 1280 x 720 pixels(HD).
- Pixel resolution: –
- Display Technology: IPS LCD Capacitive touchscreen.
- Form Factor: Touchscreen Bar.
- Build: Metal unibody Design
- Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass 5.
- Features: Triluminos Display with X-Reality.
- Colours: White Silver, Black, Horizon Blue and Twilight Pink.
- Processor Name/Technology: Snapdragon 835 Mobile Platform.
- Processor Speed: n/a.
- Number of Processor Cores: Octa-core.
- Graphics Processor: Adreno 540.
- RAM: 4GB
- Internal Storage: 64GB.
- External Storage: expandable up to 256GB with microSD.
- Sensors: Accelerometer, Light, Proximity, Fingerprint sensor.
- Lens: 19MP.
- LED Flash: Yes.
- Video recording: Yes, 4K.
- Exmos RS sensor
- 1/2.3″ sensor
- f/2.0 aperture
- Predictive capture
- 5-axis stabilization
- 960fps slow-motion video
- Lens: 8MP.
- LED Flash: No.
- Video recording: Yes, 1080p.
- 1/ 4″ Exmor R sensor
- 18mm super wide-angle
- 120-degrees FOV
- f/2.4 aperture
- Music Support: AAC, AMR, MP2, MP3, M4A, MKA.
- Loudspeaker: Yes.
- Audio Technology: DSEE HX, LDAC & Digital Noise Cancelling.
- Video Support: MP4/MPEG4/H.263/H.264 player.
- FM Radio: No.
- Bluetooth: Bluetooth 5.0.
- Bluetooth Profiles: A2DP, LE.
- WiFi: WiFi 802.11 ac (2.4GHz / 5GHz) MIMO, Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot.
- GPS: GPS/ GLONASS
- USB: USB 3.1 Type-C..
- USB OTG: Yes.
- NFC: Yes.
- 3.5mm audio jack: Yes.
- Battery Capacity: 2700mAh.
- Battery Technology: Li-ion.
- Removable? No.
- Fast Charging: Yes, Qnovo Adaptive Charging.
- Extra Features: IP65 & IP68 certifications for Water and Dust Resistance.
- Launch Date: August 31, 2017.
- Availability: September 2017.
How much is Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact in Nigeria, Kenya & Ghana?
The Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact has just been announced and will be available globally starting from September 2017. Its price should not be too far from that of the standard Xperia XZ1 as they have many similar specs.