Health is wealth not only for the person concerned but also for other people around him or her. Assuming that you are an employer, your productivity and yield will be hampered if you recruit people suffering from different health and mental conditions.
Even a regular smoker will yield much less as compared with a non-smoker. It is therefore essential for you as an employer to ensure that you encourage good health habits among your employees. Recently the Body Mass Index or BMI has come under some serious criticism.
There was a specific study conducted by the National Health and Nutrition Examination in which some alarming facts were revealed. The study was conducted on several people considering a few specific parameters such as:
- Blood pressure
- Insulin resistance and
- C-reactive protein levels.
It was found that almost half of respondents who were overweight having a BMI between 25 and 29 and about 29%of the obese individuals having a BMI between 30 and 39 were actually metabolically healthier as compared to the 30% + respondents who were considered to be healthy and had a BMI between 19 and 24. This suggests that the metabolic activity has less to do with BMI.
However, the furor over the BMI is heating up continuously. This is due to the reason that the employers actually use it along with different other measures such as cholesterol, glucose and tobacco use specifically to find out the healthcare contributions of an employee.
This is in accordance to the proposed rule by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission or EEOC which states that, ‘You weigh more, you pay more.’
The nuances of BMI
The use of BMI by the employers is never as simple as it is supposed to be. There are lots of nuances that are used and you as an employee must know about these things so that you get what you want and not deprived from your benefits.
In this aspect you will need to know a few interesting and important facts about BMI.
- The concept of BMI was developed way back in the 1830s and since then it has come a long way. Now it considers more that the beef or the lean protein you usually have. There is more to the suggestions to use this BMI that is more often unreliable, so the experts say. This is true even after considering the state of the art measures followed all over the world to promote health of the employees.
- Experts make the best use of their collective experience to put forth suggestions that will help the employers in the best possible way to promote healthy habits among the employees. According to them, the best way an employer can instill healthy habits for their own personal and business benefits is to support them with a company based health wellness program.
- As a result, lots of business organizations are tied up with different clinics and wellness centers that not only offer free wellness programs but also provides handsome incentives for any sustained improvements shown in the health markers. For example, you pay less when you weigh less and get your metabolic state in perfect order.
However, to ensure that the employees continue to be healthy it is required by the employer to create a healthy working environment so that everyone within the given setting feels good irrespective of their size and health conditions.
Meeting a doctor
Just as your employer has a significant role to play regarding your health, you as a responsible employee must also ensure that you are moving into the right direction.
For this you will have to meet the doctor as prescribed and wanted by your employer and talk to him or her in full confidence and precisely without hiding anything. This will ensure better results and a healthy future. When you visit a doctor, it is not exactly fun.
You must be prepared to face a few embarrassing questions and know how to answer to these. Remember, the doctor will not only ask about your healthy habits but also the unhealthy ones as well. Therefore, expect questions like whether or not you drink or smoke any traditional and combustible tobacco or the most modern CBD pods with intent to quit smoking.
Therefore, it can be downright uncomfortable for you when you have to show or asked about any bodily issue. On the other hand, you should not be afraid or nervous to ask about anything that you want to know and clarify with the doctor.
However, there are some specific ways to do that without turning the beet red or shying away from the specific subject.
Try prefacing your question if you are a starter. This will be really helpful for you to answer even the most embarrassing questions. Therefore prepare yourself following these points.
- Genital issue: Since this is all about your overall well-being, the doctors will talk about genital issues irrespective of the fact that you are a man or woman meeting a male or a female doctor and how awkward it is to you. However, to make things easier for you the doctor will use simple medical terminology instead of any slang words.
- Bladder issues: Probably you cannot bring up a bladder issue without being embarrassed. Well, a great way is to keep a journal especially if this issue is recurrent. Simply hand the written document over to the physician and avoid embarrassment of a loud discussion.
- Poop: This is another essential yet embarrassing topic of discussion that you will confront with the doctor. The best way to avoid any embarrassment is to consider it just as the doctor does: it is just like any issue with your nose or neck.
Lastly, if you visit with your loved one and have problem in opening up, take a bathroom break, talk to a nurse about it who will ask the doctor to make arrangements for a solo meeting. Doctors usually do not have any problem asking the family to leave the room.
Anthony Karen is a health expert who has been running many health seminars and public discussions. She recommends KYLÉ CBD pods for health. She also manages her blog and reviews the health-related details provided by authentic sources.