ZTE has released the ZTE Axon M, a foldable smartphone with two display screens in the U.S. The smartphone is a departure from the common form factor in the smartphone industry today, with every OEM dishing out bezel-less smartphones with 18:9 aspect ratios every week.
Other specifications of the Axon M are also exciting; the smartphone has an appropriate battery capacity, a powerful processor and enough memory to multi-task and store files.
ZTE Axon M Review
The ZTE Axon M comes running on Android 7.1.2 Nougat out of the box, and will be upgraded to Android 8.0 Oreo later on. It won’t be nice not to have the latest features in the OS on such a phone as this.
Design & Display
The smartphone comes with two 5.2-inch displays, both made with 2.5D curved glass and protected with Corning Gorilla Glass 5. Both displays have a Full HD (1920 * 1080) pixel resolution, and the smartphone is designed in such a way that it can be used in four different modes, which are:
- Traditional Mode: This is the common way of using a smartphone with one display.
- Dual Mode: The name says it all; this mode allows you to use the two displays for different purposes at the same time. You could be watching a tutorial video on the first screen and taking notes on the second screen at the same time.
- Extended Mode: This allows you to use a single application that spans the two screens. Best for watching movies if, like me, you’re too lazy to go to the cinema.
- Mirror Mode: This is similar to dual mode, but you’ll be doing the same thing on both screens. Best for situations when you want two people to use the same app on the same phone, like in multiplayer games.
The smartphone weighs 230 grammes and is 12.1 millimetres thick. It has two different screens in one, so don’t complain!
Memory & Performance
The ZTE Axon M is powered by an octa-core Snapdragon 821 Mobile Platform processor, and its graphics operations are handled by an Adreno 530 GPU.
There’s 4GB of RAM for effective multi-tasking, which is highly needed considering the different modes in which the device can be used. It also has 64GB of eMMC 5.1 internal storage which can be further expanded with the use of an external microSD card.
The Axon M comes with a single 20MP camera with PDAF, dual-image stabilisation, a f/1.8 aperture and a dual LED flash for lighting. The smartphone can be used as both the front and rear camera, and this, I must say, is a wise move on ZTE’s part.
Battery & Connectivity
The ZTE Axon M packs a 3180mAh battery with Quick Charge 3.0 which makes sure you don’t spend up to two hours charging the phone from 0%. It supports 4G VoLTE network connectivity and has a USB Type-C port for fast wired data transfers across multiple devices.
The smartphone offers an immersive audio experience with an AKM4962 audio chip and Dolby Atmos audio technology.
ZTE Axon M Full Specifications
- 2G: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 MHz.
- 3G: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100 MHz.
- 4G: LTE with VoLTE.
- Network Speed: HSPA 42.2/5.76 Mbps, LTE Cat6 300/50 Mbps.
- SIM Type: n/a.
- SIM Count: n/a.
- OS: Android 7.1.2 (Nougat), upgradeable to Android 8.0 Oreo.
- User Interface: n/a.
Design & Display
- Dimensions: 150.8 * 71.6 * 12.1mm.
- Weight: 230g.
- Display size: 5.2 inches (Dual).
- Display Resolution: 1920 * 1080 pixels (Full HD).
- Pixel resolution: n/a.
- Display Technology: IPS LCD Capacitive touchscreen.
- Form Factor: Touchscreen Bar.
- Build: Metal aluminium design.
- Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass 5.
- Colours: Black.
- Processor Name/Technology: Snapdragon 821 Mobile Platform.
- Processor Speed: 2.2GHz.
- Number of Processor Cores: Octa-core.
- Graphics Processor: Adreno 530.
- RAM: 4GB.
- Internal Storage: 64GB (eMMC 5.1) internal storage.
- External Storage: expandable with microSD.
- Sensors: Accelerometer, Light, Proximity.
- Lens: 20MP.
- LED Flash: Yes, dual.
- Video recording: Yes, 1080p.
- Dual-image stabilization.
- f/1.8 aperture.
- Music Support: AAC, AMR, MP2, MP3, M4A, MKA.
- Loudspeaker: Yes.
- Audio Technology: n/a.
- Video Support: MP4/MPEG4/H.263/H.264 player.
- FM Radio: No.
- Bluetooth: Bluetooth 4.2.
- Bluetooth Profiles: LE.
- WiFi: WiFi 802.11 ac (2.4/5 GHz), Wi-Fi Direct, hotspot.
- GPS: Yes.
- USB: USB Type-C.
- USB OTG: Yes.
- NFC: No.
- 3.5mm audio jack: Yes.
- Battery Capacity: 3180mAh.
- Battery Technology: Li-ion.
- Removable? No.
- Fast Charging: Yes, Quick Charge 3.0.
- Extra Features: –
- Launch Date: October 19, 2017.
- Availability: Q4 2017.
How much is ZTE Axon M?
The ZTE Axon M will be available in the U.S. (exclusively) through AT&T on a 30-month contract for $24.17 before the end of the year. It will be made available in other major smartphone markets like China, Europe and Japan later on.